As a response to working with the whole family, we realized the need to also support the community in which we live and work.
– Community Advocating & Support: SVYC is an active member of the community coalition and redevelopment committees. We also host events for the community at large.
– Youth Outreach: We run a book wagon program to spread literacy to kids not currently being served in our day-to-day after school program. We provide snacks and connect with families outside of the center’s traditional scope.
– Parent Classes: We host stress management and mental health workshops for parents, which has even included relaxing yoga nights. Financial literacy, wellness, coping skills, parenting skills, and job support are some of the many offerings we provide.
– Family Events: We host art nights, game nights, book clubs and more for parents to do with their children! Our goal is to provide families the opportunity to do different and fun activities for deep connection. In 2021, we hosted the Latino Cultural Arts Center to run grief workshops for families in preparation for Dia de los Muertos.
– Summer Events: We host community-wide BBQs, bike rides, and outdoor movie nights. In 2021, we hosted our first youth violence prevention pop up events, where kids could learn mindfulness skills.
– Holiday Distributions: We distribute Thanksgiving baskets in November and Christmas presents in December. We work in collaboration with the community to host Halloween events and distribute candy in a safe way.
– Services & Drives: Throughout the course of a year, we distribute backpacks and school supplies, laundry funds, bus passes, hygiene products, bikes, clothing, and more.
Making the Difference
of Sun Valley residents have not gradated high school
of the youth attending Sun Valley Youth Center will graduate
of Sun Valley residents are unemployed
of the youth attending Sun Valley Youth Center graduates are working and unincarcerated